Thursday, August 3, 2017

Romping Around!

It seems like the list is endless, but another thing that irks me about RTW clothing for tots is that retailers seem to have collectively decided that 2 years is the age/size when little ones stop wearing rompers. For a slim tot like Taco, whose shorts/pants are always sliding down, rompers are the ideal summer outfit.


Taco with my sister's beagle

I'm not going to rehash this pattern - Butterick B5625 - since I sewed and reviewed it last summer (here).  At the time I commented that it was so quick and easy that I would sew many more versions if summer was longer.  This year I got to execute that plan. The only change I've made besides adding a little length at the lengthen/shorten line is that I've eliminated the snaps at the crotch/inseam. Phin and I found it just as easy to undo the shoulder buttons for diaper changes. So, snaps became irrelevant.






An additional nice thing about this pattern is that it doesn't take very much fabric.  All three of these rompers were sewn from remnants that were hanging around in my stash and that I cut during my epic May cut-a-thon. Sewing for toddlers has some distinct benefits that way.






The red is linen left over from trousers I made for myself a few years ago. The seersucker was left over from a different romper I made for Taco last summer. And the off white pinstriped linen blend, well, that was from a large cut of fabric that you will see the rest of at some future point, since it has been sewn but not photographed.  I'm really delighted with the buttons I chose for it.





I haven't been able to snap any photos of the red and white, but they're getting a lot of wear. I really would put Taco in a romper every day all summer long if I had sewn even more of them.

Anyway, I shall leave you with this picture of Taco enjoying the blue frosting off a cupcake at his cousin's Minion themed birthday party. The blue seersucker actually hid the evidence of the frosting that ended up everywhere later on. 


No comments: