Friday, January 4, 2013

Welcome 2013!

Ladies and Gentlemen, start your sewing machines. It's 2013 and I have lots of ideas for what's next.

I've said it before, but it's worth repeating: I am incapable of sewing with a plan. Is it odd that I can commit to a multi-month one garment project but not a wardrobe? Maybe. But here's what is swirling in my brain for 2013...

Previously mentioned or in-process projects: 
  • Finish my red slip. Guests in the Craft Lounge (aka guest bedroom) really crimped year end sewing. So, this has been a one-seam-at-a-time project.
  • Pimped Pencil Skirt (possibly several versions) This is a drafting exercise and I am pretty psyched about it.
  • Wax cloth project (TBD) for my sisters. I'm hoping this will be a fun and easy project some time this spring.
2013 project ideas:

LBD - I want a black sheath dress. This was planned for 2012, but I scrapped the project at the muslin phase when the pattern needed more fitting than it was worth. So, I've regrouped and am going to try again with a different pattern.

BurdaStyle 07-2011-131


Shirts for Phineas - That man of mine is so very deserving. Also, I'm not sure if you are following the Thread Cult podcast series over on Daughterfish, but it is great. The most recent episode is "Sewing for Your Man."  I happened to be meeting up with Oonaballona, Daughterfish and Puu at Mood the evening it was recorded and even got to chime in. (What fun!) So, yes, Phin needs shirts and I need to show that man some love.

More Baby Gifts - In addition to my sister in law, my excellent friend Magenta and my sister Poly are both expecting. So there will, naturally, be a diaper bag gift for Magenta and a plethora of baby knitting in 2013.

And more for me - Right now my brain is on fire with thoughts of more Jean-ius pants, more slips and lingerie, and more drafting.There are a number of patterns burning a hole in my brain. I'm trying to talk myself out of another jacket at least until the Fall since they tend to take up so much time in my hands. Also, I want to try something new for me: some easy projects. LOL. 

I hope to have many more garments to show by this time next year. My last reflection on 2012 is how wonderful it was to meet so many other sewing bloggers and readers this year. I feel inspired by the talent, creativity and drive of others and am just itching to get back into the Craft Lounge in 2013.

Best wishes to everyone for a productive year!

10 comments:

House of Pinheiro said...

I can simpatize not being able to sew with a plan... I love the general outline and cannot wait to see the finish items

Kimbersew said...

Yay! My brain is all afire with big 2013 plans, but in truth I am having some motivational difficulty getting started. Knowing that there are others stymied by plans (before or after commencing said plan) helps. thanks-
and did I miss a photo of finished giraffe?

Ginger said...

Fun plans! I love reading these posts! It's hard for me to stick to a plan, too-- things change, and plans can feel so confining! I love the Thread Cult podcast-- it's so fun to listen to!

I need a LBD, too. I just realized that I don't have a SINGLE black dress! Not one! I needed one over the holidays, and had to settle for a gray, ill-fitting dress borrowed from my sister-- ugh!

T. Sedai said...

I vote yay for the Burda dress! I love that pattern, but it will most likely need the neckline raised a bit (I mean it is seriously low), but I think it will look fab on you.


Also, can't wait to see all of your other sewing plans come to light. I hope 2013 will be a productive year for you in the craft lounge!

Clio said...

OOh, that's good to know. Did you make that dress?

Clio said...

Yeah, I just get too easily distracted by the next shiny new fabric/pattern/idea to stick with a plan.



Oy! I sometimes wonder what those who don't have sisters do when wardrobe disaster strikes.

Clio said...

At the moment the giraffe needs some pompoms. I got held up by not ever having made a pompom before and not having any tool for the job. I know you can just use a strip of cardboard, but that's not really working out for me. Soon he/she will be complete.

Andrea said...

I say go with the Burda dress. I think it will look great on you. By the way I just posted a picture of my husband in the Kwik Sew shirt pattern you sent me. I didn't do a review yet but will since this isn't the last shirt I'll be making for him. He loves it. Thank you so much. knit-knac.blogspot.com

Andrea said...

I like the Burda Dress and think it would look great on you. I want to thank you for the Kwik Sew shirt pattern again. I made it up for my husband and he loves it. I didn't write a post on it yet, but there is a picture of him in it for my 2012 Wrap up. I plan on making more of these. Thanks again. knit-knac.blogspot.com

Clio said...

Oooh! Andrea, I'm so glad you sewed it up and it worked out for your DH!! So glad the pattern found a good home!