Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Sayonara 2012!

When I quipped that there would be a lot to tell provided we survived the holidays, I had no idea that the week would go from busy with holidays to bumpy with family involved in one car accident, two ER visits, one migraine, an unexpected trip, a cancelled trip and general mayhem. Everyone is expected to make a full recovery, thankfully.

I had planned to do some kind of wrap up of 2012. I've loved seeing so many bloggers' top 5 lists for the year. But I didn't have time to think about it or write the post, and really, I think all I need to say about my 2012 year of sewing is:


Sha-zam!
Amirite?

But what fun would that be?  Honestly, I did many fewer sewing projects in 2012 than I'd like because of an over abundance of work travel and back injury. Plus, my jacket ate up a lot of sewing time. That said, I'm pretty happy with everything I've sewn this year. Here are the highlights.




My color block dress has been worn a ton. It is my go-to dress for when I feel good or want to look good.



My kimono is used daily. I'm glad I lined in silk every time I slip it on - it's luxurious and warm, but feels pretty light-weight and breathes.

Seersucker


Jean-ius
 I can't wait to pull my seersucker pants and white jean-ius trousers out of winter storage once summer arrives. They both became overnight staples.



And the fashion star tunic/dress that I made for PR weekend gets regular use, too. I've been wearing it with leggings and boots now that it's cold out. It's easy to wear and was a fun holiday casual outfit.

My only real flop this year was quite recent:


Sleep bra that fit all wrong!

The kicker, of course, is that I love how it looks. It just doesn't fit.

Looking at my projects from the year, the thing that jumps out at me first is that I sewed many different kinds of fabrics in 2012: leather, silk, lace, cotton, jersey, ripstop... It was not a goal per se, but did make things fun and interesting and stretched my skills.

Anyway, tomorrow I'll share my plans (if you can call it that) for 2013!

13 comments:

Lisette said...

If I had only sewn your leather jacket, I would consider it a good year! Loved your color blocked dress also! All the best for 2013!

House of Pinheiro said...

You should be very proud.. You leather jacket is amazing

Sheila said...

Happy New Year. Great review and you totally rocked that leather jacket.

Faye Lewis said...

Loved all your 2012 creations!

Karin said...

Your jacket was a masterpiece. Here's to a great 2013, with no back pain!

Clio said...

Hear, hear! That would be wonderful!

Clio said...

Thanks!

Kimbersew said...

Sha-Zam INDEED! That's some quality work! I so admire how you challenge yourself and persevere! Looking forward to all your 2013 posting-
and I'm glad to hear that full recoveries are underway, best of luck to all!

T. Sedai said...

Sorry to hear about all the craziness at the end of the year! It sounds hectic and stressful. On the other hand, I enjoy seeing all of your fab sewing creations - even if you had only made the leather jacket I would have to say that it was a terrific year sewing-wise. Your other projects are fabulous too, of course. But that jacket is beyond amazing - something to be treasured for years to come. Best of luck in the new year, and I can't wait to see what sewing plans you have in store!

Sownbrooklyn said...

If the only thing you made was that jacket you STILL would have kicked sewing ass in 2013!! I wish a speedy recovery to all of your ailing peeps! Happy New Year!

Ginger said...

Seriously! I totally agree! That jacket is RAD!

Reethi Jagannathan said...

Happy new year! You made some seriously awesome pieces in 2012 - wishing you more of the same awesomeness in 2013!

Meg the Grand said...

I love all of your makes, but the color block dress and jacket are my two all time faves!!